The HSSV Adoption Experience
Choosing to adopt a four-legged family member is an exciting and rewarding experience! HSSV is here to partner with you to find your new companion, answer all your questions, and provide lifetime support for you and your pet’s relationship. We offer adoptions everyday at our three locations. Walk-ins are welcome, as we are a first come, first served facility. Appointments are recommended for finalizing adoptions. For a listing of our locations, hours, and contact information click here. Continue on to learn about our adoption process, what to bring when adopting, our benefits and fees.
- Looking for Love – We offer adoptions every day of the week, visit one of our locations to meet our animals, or search our website for up to date animal profiles. If a dog’s listing says they are in our foster care program, please refer to the section below on adopting a foster dog, as the process is a little different but just as rewarding. We get in new animals everyday, check back for updates!
- Meet the Animals – Whether in their apartment or out in our dog park, we have many areas set up just for you to get acquainted with your new companion.
- Meet with an Adoption Specialist – We will share what we know about the animal(s) you’re interested in, talk about your expectations for a new companion, and help you create an transition plan for your new companion.
- Finalize the Adoption – Congratulations! We will review all the important behavior and health topics about your new family member, like training and when to get those booster vaccines. To make you new addition an easy one, take advantage of our follow-up support and start out on the right paw. Many of our animals are adopted the same day and leave with their families. Unaltered dogs, cats, and rabbits stay a couple extra days in our care and are picked up after their spay/neuter surgery. Depending on circumstances, your Adoption Specialist may recommend a hold to finalize the following day.
We have lots of great dogs and puppies adoptable through our foster care program. Foster dogs stay with dedicated volunteers rather than our Animal Community Center. For more information about a foster dog, call our Canine Foster Coordinator Casaundra at (408) 262-2133 ext. 183. If Casaundra is not available, you may also speak to Jeri at ext. 185. To submit an online survey to adopt foster dog to be sent to the coordinators, please click here. Check out our weekly adoption showcase featuring our foster dogs every Saturday from noon until 2:00 pm at our Animal Community Center in Milpitas.
Working Cat Adoption Program
We know that traditional home adoptions aren’t for every cat which is why we created the Working Cat Adoption Program. Cats available for adoption in the Working Cat program are looking for a home in settings such as a barn, warehouse, corporate campus, plant nursery, or backyard oasis. In exchange for room, board and meals these working cats benefit people by keeping rodents away. Click here to learn more about our garden cats, rrequirements for housing, transition and ongoing care.
- Entire household, including children, are asked to meet the animal before adopting.
- Government issued photo identification.
- Adopter must be at least 18 years of age.
- Your resident dog if adopting a dog or puppy. See the New Additions section below for details.
- Our Whole Pets Store is a great place to purchase everything you need for your new pet and all sales go to the tails!
- Dogs and puppies need to go home with a new leash and collar.
- Cats, rabbits, and pocket pets need to leave in a secure carrier.
- We accept cash, check, Visa, Mastercard, or HSSV gift cards.
Many people have discovered the joy of opening their homes to more than one animal. For successful dog adoptions, it is important for your current dog to meet your potential dog before going home. These on site dog-to-dog introduction are conducted by our Adoption Specialists (experts in canine matchmaking) and take place in a neutral space at HSSV. Please visit our Behavior & Training section for tips on introducing new friends to resident pets. Keep in mind, the best matches are made between animals that have both been spay or neutered.
Adoption Benefits, Fees, Specials, and Promotions
Humane Society Silicon Valley is an independent, nonprofit organization. The fees for adopting animals allow us provide medical care, food, and shelter the animals in our care. Be sure to read over what’s included in your adoption fee, our on-going adoption specials, and training discounts for adopters! Community-wide adoption promotions can be found at WeCARE project.
Benefits of a HSSV Adoption
Starting with excellent matchmaking services from our adoption specialists, an HSSV adoption includes:
- Spay/Neuter surgery
- All necessary vaccines appropriate for the animal's age and routine deworming
- Cats and kittens are tested for FeLV
- Home Again Microchip with life-time registration
- Sponsored veterinary visit and select aftercare discount through one of our partners
- Expert tips on pet care and training, including free behavior advice for the lifetime of the animal from a behavior specialist
- Post Adoption advice as your new pet adjusts to the home
- All our animals have been examined by a veterinarian and assessed for temperament
Click here to see the cost comparison of adopted animal vs a “free pet”.
|Dogs||$175* (may also require a $125 training deposit)|
|Puppies (under 6 months)||$350* (includes $125 training deposit)|
|Kittens (under 6 months)||$175|
|Hamsters and Rats||$20|
On-Going Adoption Specials and Promotions
Companion Pricing Enjoy twice the love when you adopt two animals at the same time through our companion pricing.
- $275 for a pair of dogs (additional training deposits* may apply, ask about puppy pairs)
- $275 for a pair of cats or kittens
- $110 for a pair of rabbits
- $40 for a pair of guinea pigs
- $25 for a pair of rats
- Mommy and Me: When you adopt a mother cat, you can also take home one of her kittens at no additional cost. Mom and baby will keep each other company, and Mom will continue to mentor her kitten in all ways cat.
Seniors for Seniors At HSSV, we believe that mature pets make wonderful pets. Adopters age 60+ can take advantage of our Seniors for Seniors discount and receive half price adoption fees when adopting cats and dogs 6 years or more or rabbits 4 years or older.
Veterans Discount In honor of vets and their pets, Military personnel receive half off adoption fees. Identification is required at the time of adoption, please contact us for details.
Dog Training Discounts and Deposits
Did you know HSSV offers reasonably priced training classes, workshops and seminars for people and their pets? We believe training should be helpful, fun and informative in order to enhance the relationship between you and your pet! This is especially true when starting a new relationship, which is why some of our dogs up for adoption (and all of our puppies) have an additional $125 dog training deposit as part of their adoption fee. These deposits can be used to pay for an entire session of classes at HSSV or be refunded to you after upon completion from an approved trainer. To find out more about our dog-training program, click here. To find out if a dog you are interested in has a training deposit and why, contact our adoptions department at 408-262-2133 x 150.
Didn’t find who you were looking for?
Stay connected with us! We would still like to get to know you and assist in your search. Even if you don’t see “the one” today, please come in for a free adoption counseling session let us know what you are looking for in an ideal new companion. We see new animals every day and can match you with a future pet when they come in our doors.